Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Tears of Joy

The other night, I was putting my son to bed. We did our usual routine of brushing the teeth, get a drink of water, talk a little about the day or whatever he wants to talk about. Then prayers. And, I decided to spend a little more time with him, because it was obvious he was needy for my attention. More than anything I want my children to always feel loved and safe. I don't even remember what we were talking about.  There was a lot of laughter and playfulness though.

Then I had one of those moments, where you wish you could "freeze time," and stay there for a while. Looking into my boys eyes as we laughed and cuddled, I got teary eyed. I felt joy, joy that I have been missing out on for too many years. And I thought to myself, "this is what I missed out on." So simple, just being with my kids, loving them, enjoying moments....I missed out on the blessing of those moments for so many years.

Through the years, when my children were babies/toddlers, there were good times and we did have fun. But, I was unhappy, for many different reasons. One thing that constantly stole my joy was regret. I didn't appreciate where I was at, because I was so lonely. I was always contemplating and trying to figure out what direction I should be going with my life. And well, to make the long story short, all that did was steal my joy.

Finally I have learned to enjoy the moments right in front of me. I don't want to ever take for granted these special times God has given me with my children ever again.

Do you struggle with living in the present? My prayer is for new moms to really see what is right in front of them, the blessing of their children, and to fully experience that joy. Because yes, it is true, it goes by so fast. I would love to hear from you.



4 comments:

  1. Hey Mommy,
    What a blessing to have those special moments with your son! You're right, it is hard to find those moments during the day to day chores of being a mother. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gina,
    Thanks so much for reading :)
    I'm still learning this way of living - 'slowing down and enjoying the small things.' And it's hard in the midst of chaos at times. Keeping my heart and mind focused on God, is helping. I find my thoughts changing now. There will always be... Chores, mom duties, and times where my kids seem to misbehave all day. But then there will be those moments/blessings that shine through. Unfortunately in the past I really didn't experience the full joy of the blessings - - those small beautiful moments - - like I do now. Thanks for commenting. Hope you're having a good day. ((Hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mommy,
    I know what you're saying here. And the thing is? It continues on through the years. A couple nights ago I was observing my teenagers laughing at the dinner table, being silly - sometimes on the edge of gross - and just having fun. Yes, I was laughing along with them, and I thought, "Please don't ask to be excused from the table just yet. This is fun, and I want it to last!"
    There is something very beautiful about living in the moment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Karen, thank you for sharing! I love hearing about your special 'freeze' moment :) Cheers to living in the moment.

    ReplyDelete